Saturday, October 17, 2009

She Did It. She Did It. Lo Hicimos! (said in the tune of her fave. tv show theme song - Dora)

The first blog was Brian's tribute to Chelsea so I'll end the blog with my tribute to my new hero, a position held by my beautiful mother for all these years.

Approximately 100 chemotherapy treatments later, 40+ blood/platelet transfusions, 4 bone marrow aspirates, 5 biopsies, 1 MRI, 8+ nose tube insertions, countless IV pokes and blood draws and catscans, numerous visits to the sedation and general anasthesia units (many know her down there as it became her second home) - our daughter is done with long hospital stays and going home tomorrow!

There was a nurse I spoke to the other day and she couldn't get over Chelsea (as many couldn't). She's been a nurse for over 30 years and said Chelsea is her best patient. Now I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing, but I'll take pride in that. The reason she said this is because for her age, she is so incredibly brave (this is my interpretation). One of my favorite lines is "it's not brave if you're not scared" - bravery is doing something in spite of your fear and that genuinely sums up Chelsea's stay at CHOP. She listened and did what was asked of her most days. She hates shots but did not move and allowed the nurses/technicians to do what they needed to do in most instances or once the shot was in (not removed yet), she'd question in her sweet voice "All done?" She has had groups of strangers wearing masks on a daily basis come look at her and has adjusted to allowing them to do their job though it must be scary. She understands vital signs and when it's time every four hours to have them, she chooses the arm, the leg, and extends it for the nurses to get their job done. There was a night two weeks ago where at 1 AM, three different doctors came in to draw blood from her foot. Six pokes and 2-1/2 hours later, they finally got what they needed. She cried because it was painful but she endured it - and then woke up the next day on 4 hours sleep as I carried her in to a procedure room to get her second PICC Line of this stay put in, and was still all smiles. She truly is my sunshine, my hero. I think of all she's been through, and I'm in awe and inspired by her resiliance, her strength, her sunshine.

This stay became very complicated and painful for Chelsea. Her first PICC Line became infected and was removed and from that point on, it was one thing after another. To keep it brief and as non-medical as possible, Chelsea had a horrible infection in her arm that caused her much pain. She actually spent a day in her crib for fear of someone picking her up and touching that arm. When we realized that, and promised her we'd be gentle, our girl emerged again, but really had no use of that arm for a week. Now since she had the infection, she had to allow multiple strangers from multiple departments including Infectious Diseases and Dermatology, undo the dressing on her arm which gave her a sense of protection, and continually show her pain. There was one morning I watched her bite her lip and try to be strong as she allowed these strangers to examine her arm. I swear, I'll never forget that brave face EVER. Or two days ago, I had to take her in for a catscan. They usually sedate two years old as it is hard to have them remain still for 12 seconds at a time. This was the third catscan Chelsea had that she let us read her books as she sat still as the scary machine "took her picture" so no sedation was needed. But this time was the kicker! She saw the machine and kept saying "cave" "cave" "I want to go in the cave". Then when we put her down and it advanced her in she was going "whee" "whee". It was hysterical. She had 2 biopsies on her arm looking for another fungal infection in the arm since the antibiotics weren't improving the site, and though no one was found, she was again put on the nasty anti-fungal medicine. One problem was revealed from the MRI though - there was a blood clot in Chelsea's arm so now Mommy and Daddy have to give Chelsea a shot twice a day for 3 months to thin her blood and try to prevent the clot from growing. This finding also brought in another department of experts to have to examine Chelsea - hematology (though hematology and oncology are close departments as the both deal with blood issues). This also affects Chelsea's stay at home because this will have to be monitored which means more checkups, a delay in returning to daycare, and like I mentioned - enduring two shots a day given by her parents.

I had planned to write this last blog and just end it with SHE"S DONE! My mother was the type to be proud of us on the inside but not share her pride with the outside world and I always loved that about my mother. I wish I could just beam on the inside and that'd be enough which is why I was going to make the last blog short but sweet. The moment we've waited for is here and just saying she's done with treatment says it all. But I can't do it. I look at my daughter and tears well up with pride. I am so so proud and in awe of her and I just can't keep it to myself.

You've read how Brian viewed his baby girl when this all started. His love for his little girl was evident. 7 months later, I know Brian would be saying he's in awe and even more in love if that was possible. She's our hero. 7 months ago, Chelsea was fiesty, loved books, playing with blocks and her baby dolls, eating on the floor with her big brother who she adores, and had her daddy wrapped around her little finger. I'm happy to say, 7 months later, not much of that has changed - she's still fiesty yet sweet (she's Ms. Independent as she'll be happy to tell you and sing in the tone of Kelly Clarkson). She's in love with her brother, her cousin, her grandparents, Aunt Melissa, Aunt Susie and Aunt Marsha and she speaks of friends she remembers like Mia, Matthew, Jimmy, Kassidy, and Christina. You'd never know what she's endured the last seven months with the exception of her balding head and nose tube. She's only grown, and grown in to such an amazing little two year old, way older than her short two years.

But now I'll say it. We're going home and now just go back to clinic for day appointments! Thank you thank you thank you to everyone - for the support and love thrown our way. Supportive words and acts of kindness really made this bearable. Yeah Yeah Yeah!!!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to you all. Chelsea is a hero and she is lucky to have you all to support her throughout this arduous journey. May you experience only the best of health from now on.

    ReplyDelete