Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Week 1 update

If you are reading this, you are aware that on April 7, Chelsea Judith was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia. On the morning of April 8th, she began chemotherapy treatments. As of this blog, she is doing great. In fact, if not for the tubes, as many as six at one time, dangling from her, one would not even know she was sick. She is laughing, playing and currently in the middle of a vocabulary explosion. She is constantly smiling and saying that she is "happy". The doctors seem pleased also. The first spinal tap(LP), taken on April 8th, removed all the leukemia cells from her spinal fluid. We are awaiting the results of this morning spinal tap and the results from the spinal tap scheduled for this coming Friday. If no leukemia cells are found in the spinal fluid, their will be no more spinal tap during this stay at the hospital. I have a feeling that, on numerous future occasions, that Chelsea will be the one help us through these times and not the other way around.


She did vomit once today(all over daddy!) but that is because mommy and daddy wanted to see if she could handle the anaesthesia medicine(from her spinal tap this morning) without anti-nausea medicine.


We know these are first battles of a long, long road to recovery but Chelsea's spirit has already given us hope. She will be in the hospital at least three more weeks before returning home for a week. She will have five separate hospital stays, including this one. Each stay will vary in length(25-40 days) depending on how Chelsea recovers from the chemo. She will enjoy one week at home in between each stay.


I know that everyone knows a little something about our Chelsea. Here is what she is, through her father's eyes. She is very independent. She wants what she wants and that is it! She is also very lovable and gives the most unbelievable hugs and kisses. She constantly wants to have fun. At home, she loves playing with blocks and her baby dolls. She loves writing and drawing. She was not into books but, since she has been at the hospital, maybe out of necessity(she is confined to her bedroom)she is gotten more into them. She loves, absolutely loves, playing with her brother. She is a sloppy, picky eater. She is loves pasta, green beans, carrots and cheese.For breakfast, it is Apple Jacks or Froot Loops. Her dessert of choice is fruit snacks, which she must eat on a bowl on the kitchen floor with her brother. She is a good sleeper but needs to be held to her schedule. She likes to play with sidewalk chalk in the driveway and just started getting into the sandbox in the backyard. She does not like TV and needs to be constantly on the move. She has an outgoing personality and will make friends with anyone. She has her daddy wrapped around your finger and she knows it.

Thank you, everyone. The love everyone has showed was blown Liz and I away.

28 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for including everyone this way so that we can follow Chelsea and her recovery. As you know..so many people love her and want the best for all of you. When Chelsea is older and able to read, she will have this testament of her parents' and brother's love. And we are lucky enough to witness it first hand.
    We're cheering you on and wishing for the best results.
    xoxo
    Julie, Deane and Max

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing this. we are so happy that chelsea is doing well and we think about her everyday. please let us know if you need anything at all.

    love,
    -dana, jay and aubrey witter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian and Liz,

    Thank you so much for opening this blog, we will continue to follow and look for the positive updates! Stay strong, we are all praying for a speedy recovery. Remember to lean on everyone, SO many people love you and are rooting you on. If you need anything, please let us know!
    Love,
    Tom, Theres, and Aiden Reller

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike, Matthew and I love you guys so much, and we are praying for Chelsea every day. I wish we could take your pain away, but we will be here for whatever you need, WHENEVER you need us. Just ask, and we're there. Chelsea is a little trooper, and I just know she'll continue to be.

    Love,
    Mike, Anne Marie and Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  5. All we have to say is that Chels has the best parents and brother in the world!

    We love you!

    Stace & Timmy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This bog is amazing.

    We will contunue to follow this for updates. You guys are such a strong family. I'm thinking about you every day!

    Love you

    Heather and Chris and Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for including me on this. You both (Liz & Brian) are showing such strength through this - I know you must have passed that trait on to your kids. You are truly an amazing family and to share all this with everyone...thank you for that. You are all in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your positive attitude is going to go a long way.. your strength is uplifting and we all are praying for Chelsea.. We are thinking of you every day... Carrie, Dave, Sarah and Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys are truly an amazing family! Your determination and strength to beat this will pull Chelsea through this! You are such incredible people and that is why EVERYONE cares so much!!! Love this blog-great idea! XOXO-The Popp's

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great way to keep us all posted, and that way you don't have to keep answering the same questions again and again. I have to tell you, I cried my way through the whole thing! I can't even imagine having to write it! You know you are in our thoughts and prayers and that we are here for you for WHATEVER you need!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brian and Liz,
    You are in our thoughts and our hearts every day. Your words about Chelsea are beautiful. Your little girl has the most amazing spirit and contagious smile! We know that there is a VERY special guardian angel with her that will see her through this. Please remember that we are always here for you and we love you all very much!
    -Brian, Heather, and Peyton

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey guys stacy gave us the link. We are so very sorry you have to be going through this. You know we are right around the corner if you need anything....we genuinely mean that. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Jill, Jeff, Logan and Max

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you both for sharing this blog with all of us so we can share in your journey. It will, I am sure have many highs and lows, but know that you are surrounded by love and prayers all along the way. Don't be afraid or too proud to ask for help- the people who have offered are sincere. We are all here for you guys! And know that the strength you are all showing is inspiring. You are MY hero, Lizzie!
    We love you all,
    Tracy, Jason, and Allison

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brian, Liz, Cris, Chelsea,

    We love you all so very much, thank you for this wonderful way to keep updates on our little "Peanut". Our thoughts are constantly with you and we can not wait for nothing more then for Chelsea to be yelling at my window wuff, and little Christopher to run in the other direction of Sam. We are here whatever you need! Love, Theresa, Ron, Caitlyn, Ronnie, Christina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bryan, Liz, Chris and Chelsea,
    I love all of you so very much and just wish I could be there with you. Just always remember that you have people all over this country and in Italy and France praying for all of you.

    Love always,
    Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bryan, Liz, Chris & Chelsea,
    You are in our hearts and we love all of you very much. Our prayers and thoughts are with you and we just want you to know that we're here for Ms. Chelsea, her big brother, her mom and dad. If we can do anything, please let us know.
    Hugs, love and kisses,
    Aunt Bevy & Uncle Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chelsea and your family are in my thoughts. Brandon was in the hospital for 12 weeks when he was born so I understand how difficult it is to have your child there. If I can do anything for you please let me know.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brian & Liz, thank you for the update, all of your IBM family & friends are praying for Chelsea. Please let us know if we can do anything to help you.
    Gigi McKenna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brian & Liz,
    Thank you so much for the update/blog. This was a great idea. I am so glad she is doing well and is being herself. She is just a little angel. You are all in my prayers. If I can do anything, please let me know.
    Love, Tiffany (IBM)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brian & Liz,
    Thanks for creating this blog!! I will continue to follow Chelsea's progress through her long road to recovery. Everyone is thinking of you guys and praying for your beautiful little girl. As hard as it may seem some days...remain strong and lean on the many friends and family that are available to you!! You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers throughout this process.

    Debbie Clark

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Chelsea & family,

    My daughter, Jaime, works with Melissa and I just wanted to let you know I've been praying for all of you since we first learned about Chelsea's illness and will continue to do so. I'm also going to let some friends of mine know about it because I know they will add their prayers. She looks adorable. Hang in there.

    Jo Sisson

    ReplyDelete
  22. the prayers of many (even some you may not know)are with your beautiful daughter and your family at this very difficult time

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Brian and Liz,
    Chelsea, Chris and you guys are in my thought and prayers. I am so very glad Chelsea is responding so well. Please remember if there is anything I can do, or anything you need, just let me know, anything. Thank you for keeping everyone who cares so much, for you and your family, updated.
    With love and, many prayers. Carol (IBM)

    ReplyDelete
  24. To Brother Brian 'Noodles' Nodeland and Family,

    The undergraduates and alumni of the Gamma Sigma Chapter of Phi Kappa Sigma have Chelsea in our thoughts, our hearts, and our prayers.

    We offer our fullest support and we will do whatever it takes to help you and your family through this difficult journey.

    Fraternally yours,

    YOUR BROTHERS

    ReplyDelete
  25. Noodles & Liz-
    I know, I had to say Noodles... I'm so sorry I couldn't see this blog earlier. Work doesn't allow it... but I'll now check from home all the time.
    I wish that I could do more from here, but PLEASE know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. I think about all of you more than you could know. Chelsea is a wonderful child who is so truly blessed to have such a strong spirit and so many people who care so much about her.
    It is evident from reading above... We love you and miss you. When we come to visit NJ we definitely want to come see you...
    Love you all and miss you. Be strong and let me know any way that I can help. Love, Kelly, Matt, Zachary and Kassidy...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brian and Liz,

    Just know if I lived closer I would be honored to be as helpful as I could. If you need anything from the Island, just let me know... Liz, you got me at "Wind beneath my Wings".. You have to know that your mother is sitting right there on the corner of that bed..watching over Chelsea . Piece of advice.. Accept peoples offer to help. You can't do it all..
    Love
    Aunt Meryl

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Chelsea & family,
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this time. I was primary caregiver for my father who fell ill from Lung cancer and I suffer from recurrring primary site melanoma. Chelsea will be my inspiration and should be for us all. I will visit this site daily and only pray for the best news. May God bless you and May God Bless Chelsea with health, continued happiness and many smiles.
    Joe Gangi (Soon to be cousin Cynthia's brother-in-law Christakos side lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad to hear all the good news. On pins & needles to know the genetic testing results. I pray that is good news too. Chelsea is an absolute doll, a real little trooper, & it's hard to see that she's sick. Glad she's keeping up your spirits. Love you all VERY much.

    Aunt Marsha

    ReplyDelete